Monday, January 27, 2020

Olympic Trials Training: Week 7

Monday, 1/20 
Woof to staying out late for Devotchka last night. I don't think it was particularly the staying out late part as it was that at one point (or several), I looked down at my watch and saw my step count and tried to competitively dance my way to 40,000 steps. M said he liked dancing with me last night, but I don't think he realizes that I wasn't dancing with him, I was in a serious step competition. I'm tired.

It's MLK day. Makes me think about when I lived in NE Portland, 2005, 17-18 y/o, about MLK Jr. Blvd, how there was a Popeyes on every block, how I'd go to Mid-K or Wigland for wefts of weave (at the time dark brown or red brown), how I'd macgyver the wefts as little pony-tails or glue the tracks on my head (this was not the time of bead, loop, tape, fusion, etc). I felt trapped in that city (poor navigation skills), but so hungry for diversity. I understand that it might come across as cultural appropriation or ignorant or partial, but I meant no harm, was Really into experimentation, and most of all, felt stifled by my hometown, and the small college I went to. Portland, MLK Jr. Blvd and Wigland really helped me see life outside of all this etiolation. MLK Jr. was born in Atlanta. It's going to be wonderful to run in his city. A few of my favorite sentiments expressed by him,

"There comes a time when people get tired of being pushed out of the glittering sunlight of life's July and left standing amid the piercing chill of an alpine November." - Speech delivered 4 days after the arrest of Rosa Parks, at the First Montgomery Improvement Ass. Mass Mtg. at Holt Street Baptist Church on Dec. 5, 1955 in Montgomery, AL.

"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." - Oberlin Commencement, 1965

10E, of which I had the company of Ber; she shared stories about her trip to Sayulita. The roads & sidewalks are completely clear now. My energy has been low all day. 5E after work listening to Des Linden on the LetsRun podcast. My left adductor is being an asshole today, throbbin hard. Worked on it a bit. Met up for a double date with an old friend at Jalapenos. I only eat Mexican food now.

Miles for the day - 15

Tuesday, 1/21
I feel so much more awake today. Ber & I talked politics which instigated some zoomies. 11 miles, then 4 miles after work. 

Later in the evening I had Book Club reviewing Atwood's, Life Before Man. Caitlin hosted. Made delish lasagna, garlic bread, bottles of red, homemade brownies and cookies the size of plates over milk. Literally talked about books & life from 7:30pm - Midnight. My kind of living.

Miles for the day - 15.2

Wednesday, 1/22

Workout - 2E + 2x 3T w/ 3 min rests + 2T w/ 3 min rest + 6x 3 min @ HMP w/ 2 min jogs + 8x 200R/200E + 1E

Actual - 2E + 2x 3MP in (5:52, 5:53, 5:55), (5:56, 5:47, 5:45) w/ jogging recoveries + 2MP in (5:48, 5:43) + 4x 3 min @ HMP Effort in 5:30-40s ish (utilized hills) + 5x 200/200s in 4:56-5:15s

The warmup didn't feel good, so I wasn't sure how it would play out, knowing that it doesn't have to mean the workout won't. Felt good/strong in what I'd originally set for T-pace sets, but my RPE or my watch was way off; it felt like I was fighting to bring the paces down. I think I have a good grasp on what various paces between 5:30-6:00/miles feels like, and what my watch was showing did not line up with how hard I felt I was working. A smarter person than I would have tossed the watch and gone strictly on effort, and in the end I did, but to help me mentally adjust during, I evolved the workout to something I could manage, and not something I was fighting. I feel, at this point in the training, I'm toeing a ledge, and, intuitively, it didn't feel like the right time to push.

Gorged on a teriyaki rice bowl. Chocolates. Nikki came over and worked on my IT bands/quads to quiet down my adductors. Together we went to strength at JD Elite. I was pretty toasted. She brought cookies. Always giving, supporting our efforts at the same time as her own. M made steak, sweet potatoes, salad. Enjoyed a bottle of Mollydooker. Frozen chocolate caramels. Watched the new Curb Yer Enthusiasm. Got the Wednesday night text from D about a morning run.

Miles for the day - 16

Thursday, 1/23 
Fell asleep with a wine glass next to my pillow (empty), and then I had a coughing fit for an hour until it woke M, and he went to grab me Nyquil to shut me up, and then he found the wine glass and asked why it was in the bed, and half awake I say, "It's ok, it's empty." Rough(er) morning body-wise. I exercised a lot yesterday and the soreness has already set in. It's straight uphill to meet D - took it reeeal easy. It was a slog the run through, but always nice to have a little extra time for a shower and a quick slip back under the blankets to read before work. I could tell that the day would eat me alive, however.

9E with 2Trainz, still sore, but warmed up a little during. Hit some strong wind gusts. The day did eat me up. I had to take a little snooze on my arms. And then after work I took a couple hour nap. And then M and I made homemade pizzas and watched Star Trek: Picard while I looked up renditions of a tattoo I'll get over the weekend. I really appreciated after it was done, when M checked in with me about my willingness to watch Star Trek, because once I told him that I hated ST, because I'd grown up in a trailer with free channels on the tv, only, and Roseanne and Star Trek were all that was ever available, an evocative sadness, not luxury or comfort, and that he remembered, was really cute.

Miles for the day - 15.25

Friday, 1/24
TGIF. I need some weekend sleep. Payday also snuck up on me, which is AWESOME. Spent the day working on valentines invitations with the impeachment proceedings on in the background. Felt sluggish on the run, kept it easy. Dbl before dinner with Cousin & Neil. Cousin made mushroom meatloaf, peas, roasted root veg, mashed potatoes. We drank wine & snacked on nacho bugles. Talked about our Atlanta/Alabama/Mississippi/Louisiana trip.

Miles for the day - 15+

Saturday, 1/25
Was going to wake up early & get a workout in before a tattoo appt. at noon, but wanted sleep more. M brought me a plate of sliced oranges, grapefruit, apples, toasted & Irish-buttered crumpets, goat cheese and coffee. We cleaned & organized for a few hours before I headed in for the tat. Afterwards, did: 

Workout - 2E + 3T (5:45, 5:43, 5:32) + 8E + 3T (5:45, 5:38, 5:33) + 2E 

For the first time this week it felt like my legs were under me. Soreness from Wednesday’s strength had finally quieted. The first T-set felt smooth; sky misting. The 8E a nice reprieve. In the second T-set my hams were talking, tight/sore; it was harder to be fluid, but managed another cutdown. Only took 1 gu/1 btl of water on the run. Have to start getting more in. Afterwards, despite what should have been a perfectly normal day, I went through a strong wave of anxiety/depression. Stood in the hot shower to ride it out. Took it gentle on myself the rest of the night.

Miles for the day - 18

Sunday, 1/26
Ran from home to meet BDP at the Whatcom Falls tennis courts. Our Sunday runs have been soul-filling. Maybe about 14 of us? Run plan was extended Connector, which is about 16 miles/1200ft. of elevation. It was slopcity. Mudluscious. Josh took a spill and looked like a swamp monster. By the end it felt like a slog; a lot of pressure on my pube. Met up at Lafeens for donuts after. Finished out my highest week of mileage ever. Took a 40 minute shower photographing Croissant watching me shower. Met up with friends for HH at Rock & Rye: oysters, poutine, fish & chips. Finished the night with chocolate covered pretzels, gummy bears & the latest episode of The Outsider

Miles for the day - 18.3+

Miles for the week - 113.2 + strength 

No comments:

Post a Comment