Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Olympic Trials Training: Week 8

Monday, 1/27
It’s been 69 days since my last true day off. As it goes, today was sunny in the midst of weeks of rain. All I did was read & transcribe (and work). Also: Rad Bones rolfing. And as it also goes hunger was rampant. With last week being my highest volume to date, I’ll reward myself with a down to soak. 

Miles for the day - 0 + Rolf 

Tuesday, 1/28
It’s almost as if the landscapes of my dreams are becoming as memorable and vivid as the real. There’s a selection of them in rotation. It feels as if it should mean something. Woke in the dark, bundled up, put a podcast on & kept to the roads in the inky morning. Halfway through it pissed rain, and by the end, soaked, face dripping, the day of work ahead - all I wanted was to stand in the shower for hours and not participate in real life. This, I think, on top of the dreams, on top of listening to the impeachment proceedings, are just a function of hormonal cresting. Doubled with 2Trainz for 4; caught that good sky, and felt refreshed. One of those filler uppers not depleaters. Steak, mash, broccoli, cab sauv, Blindness, got M to fall in love with Caroline Vreeland. M has been training Croissant how to use the toilet, and today was a big day for it. He made a poo in the toilet.

Miles for the day - 13.1 + core

Wednesday, 1/29
Oh M made the coffee strong today. Put the nutella on the bagel. Showed me a photoshoot of him & the cat sleeping head-to-head, and I tell him to keep it to himself. A little over 3 miles on my lunch break. I’m not sure how to make FW go any faster. I'm in too deep. I've also started to write poetry again, so maybe it's paying off in subtler ways. Set out after work, from work to the track for: 

3E + 6x 1K I (3:11, 3:18, 3:12, 3:14, 3:15, 3:12) w/ 2 min jogs + 4x 400 R (72, 75, 74, 72) w/ 400s + 1E

Haven’t been on the track in a while. It worked out really well, because BDPxJD Elite is next to the track. Nikki, Kathryn & Kristen stopped by for some laps. So did a gaggle of lane 1 huggers. Before I started this run, I was shoveling in handfuls of trail mix, focusing a lot on the chocolate part, and I knew, trust, that it wasn't likely a good idea, but I couldn't stop, and there so followed cramps and the rhea. I was happy to manage it during the workout, but damn, Idiot. It was a bit disorienting to run 400s on the track in the dark; laughed out loud when as I grabbed my pack and started running to strength that they finally popped the lights on. Short cool down, then hopped right into strength with some teammates. I was proud of my time management skills, but dang, I was disoriented bodily; it was hard(er) to hold a medicine ball over my head, to stay balanced in side-to-side work or single leg efforts. Operating on like 50% motor skill capacity. From Heath, our trainer, I've now found a new crush - Nick Honeybadger Cummins, specifically the mustache version.

Miles for the day - 14.2 + strength

Thursday, 1/30
6@6 with Derek & Josh. Felt so much better this early am run than the last. Popped in at home for a pack, some chocolate milk, a shot of coffee & whipped cream, then finished out a medium-long run of 14 miles before work at 8:00 am. It's nice to be done for the day, but felt totally rickety getting up/down from the chair. Had a lovely chat with D. Yanko about growing into old badasses who vacation race at Comrades. Finished Blindness with a glass of wine before yoga with Nikki. Came back after with an attitude.

Miles for the day - 14 + yoga

Friday, 1/31
Everything feels gross and itchy. Onto the book club read - City of Girls. 5E was a mixed bag; it's been windy all week, but I managed to miss the rain. Shoe stack height, plate & proto rulings came out today. I think it's fair. I want to wrap myself in blankets and watch scary movies and get a facial and read. That's all I want. After work ran 8 miles from home to Cousin's, where I met M & Co. for a glass of blue franc and dips and chips and olives. That put me in a better mood. Then, later, we met up at El Gitanos for margs and dinner, staying until they started karaoke, just in case we were in the mood to sing.

Miles for the day - 13

Saturday, 2/1
Got out early with Ber, joining in her workout of:

4E + 10x 20s Hills + 5x 30s strides + CD

I didn't have a second workout for the week planned, technically, the second being a time-on-feet LR tomorrow, so it was really fun to hop in with her, it being low key enough, sharpening enough to supplement both of our training. We did the reps and strides in/around Whatcom Falls and the cemetery. Reminded me of high school workouts. Felt better in the flat speeds than I did for the hills, so that'll be fun for Atlanta...Got ready, had a breakfast of hash, toast, cheesy eggs and an orange.

Today is my dear friends, Mckinley & Kris' joint baby shower. Went to the party, woodland themed, played games, sipped hot cocoa, bubbles, ate subs, salads, veg, about 1,000 chocolate pb acorns, a hedgehog cookie. They'll be the best parents. M drove us home, and I napped. Back at home, watched, I love you, Now Die, crying in front of the fire.

Miles for the day - 10

Sunday, 2/2
Straight from bed to stuffing a bagel and a bar and a shot of coffee in my mouth, to running to the goat to meet BDP, to the end of Larrabee & back with 2Trainz pushing the pace. Nice, honest, undulating LR. Near 3 hours on foot. One gu, 1/2 sleeve shot blocks. Got a msg from Cousin saying, F the Superbowl, let's go to Canada. No truer words could be said to me. I was showered, fed, and ready to go to BC within minutes. We had a lovely time, the weather turning from blue to gray to cold rain to torrential snow and back to gray. We sipped vinho verde and perused shops and pretended we were rich. Tried out makeup in Sephora. Paid $20 for a glass and a shot of lemon juice - "Is this virgin?" "No." "Hmmm." Ate at Gringo's in Gastown - double margs, chippy dippy queso, a wilbur (Mazatlan pork, chilies, vinegar, pickled onions), austin (saucy brisket, texas fried onions), and encino (spicy hand-pulled roast chicken, ranch, salsa, crispy bits). Stopped at Jack in the Box on the way home for fries and a chocolate shake. I got my 40,000+ steps in. And filled my well.

Miles for the day - 24.5

Miles for the week - 89 + rolf, strength, yoga, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment